Welcome to the soil data and information Community of Practice (CoP), where we aim to foster knowledge sharing, collaboration, and innovation in the field of creating soil information. From assessing soil profiles in the field to delivering tailored soil maps and information products for land management, we’ve found that relying on the quality-tested methods and standards available is helpful. In some areas of the “soil information workflow,” there are well-tested standards to apply, and in others, innovation is continuously updating best practices. Our community provides a platform for professionals, researchers, and enthusiasts to exchange insights, discuss challenges, and contribute to the collective understanding of soil.
- Knowledge sharing: Facilitate the exchange of information, research findings, and best practices related to soil science and soil data and information among community members.
- Collaboration: Foster collaboration on information sharing and building skills.
- Education: Launch an online resources library in 2024, which provides materials for skills development to support the growth of individuals in the field of soil information systems. The learning materials will be freely available for everyone, our users and CoP members. It includes articles, methods, software, tools to develop digital soil maps derived products, point databases, soil archives, tutorials, videos and materials to develop a dialogue place and education centre connected to soil museum in the future.
- Networking: Create networking opportunities for members to connect with like-minded individuals, organizations, and experts in the soil science community.
Membership is open to professionals, researchers and people who are creating soil data and information products in Africa. To join our community, simply fill in the form available at the bottom of this page. Currently, 500 members from 27 countries across Africa (marked in green on the map) have joined this community. New members from all African countries are very welcome to join.
- Online webinars and seminars on soil-related topics, for example, guest lectures on a soil profile database for agriculture development and pedometric and digital soil mapping.
- Community survey about shared needs. Learn about the results here.
- Preparing and sharing resources related to the soil information workflow, such as the Soil Description DevTool.
- Access to a network of soil science professionals and enthusiasts.
- Regular updates on the latest developments on soil data and information.
- Educational resources and workshops for skill enhancement.
Our community has 26 ambassadors from Africa, and they play a pivotal role in fostering a sense of connection and engagement within our online community. These dedicated individuals embody the spirit of our community, acting as passionate advocates who go above and beyond to support others. Our ambassadors actively contribute to the positive and inclusive atmosphere. Through their efforts, they inspire others to actively participate, share insights, and contribute to the collective growth of our vibrant community.
A full program of our upcoming events for 2024 will be published soon.
Join the CoP
Sign up here to stay in touch as this community grows. We will coordinate trainings, group discussions and networking opportunities for this community of soil information practitioners. We hope you join us!